WHAT IS FRRO REGISTRATION:
Registration under FRRO is a mandatory requirement by the Government of India under which all foreign nationals (excluding overseas citizens of India) visiting India on a long term visa (more than 180 days) are required to register themselves with a Registration Officer within 14 days of arriving in India.
Pakistani nationals visiting India are required to register within 24 hours of arrival regardless of the duration of their stay.
Foreign registration was mandated and is regulated by the Registration of Foreigners Act, 1939 and the Registration of Foreigners Rules, 1992.
Persons who fail to register within the specified time period are charged a late fee of US$30.
In April 2018, the Union Government launched the e-FRRO scheme which allows foreigners to register and avail visa and immigration related services online.
Under the new scheme, a foreign citizen is no longer required to appear in-person at an FRRO office, unless specifically required to do so.
TO WHOM FRRO REGISTRATION IS MANDATORY?
Registration is essential for all foreigners having visa’s for a period exceeding 6 months except the exempted categories and should be done within 14 days of first arrival.
FOLLOWING CATEGORIES OF FOREIGNERS ARE EXEMPTED FROM TAKING REGISTRATION UNDER FRRO: (Exempted Categories)
1. Persons holding OCI Card (overseas citizens of India).
2. US nationals holding ten-year Tourist/Business Visas provided their continuous stay during each visit does not exceed six months.
3. Foreigners of Indian origin holding five-year multiple entry X visa with an endorsement that “stay should not exceed six months during each visit”.
4. Foreigners holding five-year Tourist Visas, who are actively engaged in tourist/travel trade, desirous of visiting India frequently over extended periods for promotion of tourism, etc., provided that their visa contains an endorsement that “continuous stay should not exceed six months”.
5. Foreigners below the age of 16 years.
Every Foreigner visiting India on Student Visa(S), (Research Visa(R), Medical Visa(M) or Medical Attendant (MED-X) Visa and Employment Visa(E) valid for more than 180 days is required to get himself / herself registered with concerned FRRO, within 14 days of his/her first arrival, irrespective of the duration of his / her stay.
Foreigners visiting India on other categories of long term Visa (valid for more than 180 days) including Business/Entry(X) / Journalist Visa would not require registration with the concerned FRRO if duration of his/her stay does not exceed 180 days on a single visit. In case a foreigner intends to stay for more than 180 days on a single visit he / she should get himself registered well before the expiry of 180 days. Foreigners possessing tourist Visa are required registration only if they re-enter within 60 days of the last departure and they are asked to register through special endorsement etc.
List of documents and information required at the time of registration: –
1. Photocopy of the passport and initial visa endorsed (with Immigration stamp)
2. Colour passport size photograph of the applicant.
3. Lease agreement along with NOC and Utility Bill if the applicant is living on lease/rent.
4. Form C from Hotel Manager if the applicant is staying in Hotel
5. Tenant Verification form (by local Police of the state)
6. Email id of applicant
7. Indian Mobile No. of Applicant
8. HIV test report from one of the WHO recognized Institutions from people in the age group 15 to 60 years, if the foreigner is visiting India on a visa for more than one year.
9. Copy of the marriage certificate in case of those seeking extension of stay on grounds of being spouse of an Indian National.
10. Bonafide certificate from the University/College/Institution in case of student visa.
11. Accreditation certificate from Press Information Bureau in case of journalist visa.
12. Approval of the Department of Company Affairs in case of Board level appointments in Public Limited Companies.
13. Copy of the approval from Government of India in case of a joint venture or collaboration.
14. Employment agreement along with offer Letter.
15. Undertaking from the concerned Indian company on the following lines in case of Employment/Business visas:
We take full responsibility for the activities and conduct of (Foreigner with Nationality) during his stay in India. If anything adverse comes to notice during this period, we undertake to repatriate his at our cost.
How to create User login to Prepare and submit the Application for FRRO Registration:
After submitting the application for FRRO Registration, the FRRO officer will instruct further for the discrepancy (if found any in the application being submitted) and for deposits of fee through an email communication.
The fee shall be submitted within 2-3 days of receiving the instructions to process the FRRO Registration application further.